Friday 31 May 2024

20240528 - 20240531 - Exmouth Whale Shark Swim

 20240538 - Exmouth.  It's finally here the day we get to swim with the whale sharks.  We are both up early ready to go.  

I know I may have been a bit cocky about me being a little bit faster than Dave, telling Dave when we've been out in the wilderness in Canada and the States that I didn't need to be faster than the bear I just needed to beat him - which on land I thought I had him covered.  

Just before we hopped into the Indian Ocean 5k off shore Dave reminded me he is faster in the water and just needs to swim faster than me. OH!

Our meeting point for the tour bus is just outside our caravan park - next to a sculpture of a whale shark - hopefully we get to see more than this one.  


It was nice to be early for the bus.  I was just getting so excited I couldn't stand still.  Of course in usual Elford style we had forgotten Dave's sunglasses - so Dave needed to go back and get them. We arrive at the jetty and it's not long before our tender arrives and takes us out to our boat.  Now I'm getting really excited.  We are all given our briefing and divided into two groups - we are in group 1, thank goodness I needed to get in the water and pee.



Wow, wow, wow - I can not explain how amazing it was, it was even more exhilarating than I had thought. To swim along with this majestic animals is something I will never forget.  We were told that we could as close to 3 meters to the side and 4 meters from the back.  Of course, I did receive a tap on the shoulder to say I was getting too close.  I just got so carried away...  Dave nearly got swallowed by one big sucker as it made a left turn into him.  (Lucky he can move fast in the water.)












Exmouth is such an amazing little town - restaurants cafes, breweries, pubs - only thing missing for me is my family and friends - oh Poker Machines would not go astray either.  This sure is a happy place for Dave (it does have a golf course).  We spent a wonderful week here, Dave spent time fixing a few things on the RV.  The heater is not working. (Lesson: Don't celebrate too early...)  Dave has ordered some parts to be sent to Geraldton so we should be able to get it going by then.  (It is strange to be in a climate you need a heater from 4am to 7am.  Then you need air-conditioning from 1pm to 7pm.)  

When I opened the motorhome door this morning, I was greeted by  these two little visitors g - I certainly did jump, as I was not expecting this.  Once I saw that they were Emu's, of course I wanted to pat them, but Dave told me I would be a bloody idiot to try and reminded me of their feet.








12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics and a great adventure! Love from Tricia

Anonymous said...

Amazing swim with such gentle giants. Really enjoying the blog. Vivien and Leigh

Anonymous said...

You shouldn’t have tried to pat the emu’s ,you should have tried to ride them 😁😘

Anonymous said...

Love the whale shark photos.

Kim & Dan said...

Thanks for the updates 💕 looks amazing
but glad you and not me honey I’d be doing more than peeing hahah

Anonymous said...

Wow great blog such a fun read! Wish we were with you! S&S

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Lisa - looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fantastic you two and great update, love the photos! R & d

Ingrid said...

Wow - looked awesome - sounds like you're having a great time...very jelly! xx

Anonymous said...

My mate Vik sent me your blog link and it’s very good to see you both enjoying the big lap trip in your mobile home. Loved the Whale shark photos. Cheers Andy

Anonymous said...

So bloody good! Love reading your adventures, I feel like we are having a chat over a wine. Cheers Legends! Michelle

Tess said...

Loving the stories Lisa,amazing photos of the sharks! Safe travels xxx